Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Apr-20 11:49 pm

Post subject: Cheap EDH Staples
AgePosted: 2010-May-16 12:42 pm 

For some time now, I've had this idea of getting a binder that's filled with cards that are playable in most EDH decks. But not for the purpose of using those cards to build my own decks. What I want is to be able to help other the other EDH'ers in my town - especially the new ones - to build their decks. At the moment I don't have any kind of a collection, but it would be nice if I had some cards I could trade or sell to people in need, and being able to provide EDH staples would help the growth of our local EDH community.

But I want to start small, just to see how it works out. So right now I'd like to find, say, 12 cards of each color, and some artifacts and utility lands of course (read: enough to fill ten binder pages with 9 pockets on each page). I'll buy maybe 2-3 of each card online, and offer to find people more cards if there's something they need but I don't have.

To have an example of what kind of cards I want to buy, let's look at Explosive Vegetation. It's cheap. It's not even a rare - most of the cards I get probably should be, because most commons and uncommons aren't very interesting - but the effect is very useful in EDH, and most T2 players probably haven't heard of the card (T2 and limited are the only tournament formats we ever play in this town). It's playable (and played) in almost every green deck, and can simply be thrown into a deck without making any additional changes. (Something like Dense Foliage, while easy to cast and good in the right deck, also blanks your own removal and auras and whatever, so it's not a card you'd buy for your deck unless you knew it'd be worth the slot there.)

Another example could be Lurking Predators, which is the card that inspired me to write this post. I just told another EDH player how good that card is in EDH, and he said he didn't even remember a card like that existed. Clearly someone needs to promote these cards that are gems in EDH but are too often dismissed as unplayable jank.

But while I have my plans mostly thought up, I need your help to pick the cards to buy. I may be able to build EDH decks in one hour using nothing but MagicCards.Info, but in this case, the opinions of other EDH'ers are worth more than days of searching on the internet could be.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cheap EDH Staples
AgePosted: 2010-May-16 2:05 pm 

My not so popular game I tried to start a while back should have at least one or two good ones for you (ignoring the fact that it was specifically "non-staples" and your thread is titled "Cheap EDH Staples"):
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3589

I'll throw out my top 2 cheap staples from each color:

Hallowed Burial (or Final Judgment if you or your playgroup has a problem with tuck effects)
Austere Command

Rhystic Study
Reins of Power

Corpse Dance
Barter in Blood

Word of Seizing
Vicious Shadows

Primal Command
Mana Reflection

Armillary Sphere
Lightning Greaves

And a few more:
Aura Shards
Izzet Chronarch
Debtor's Knell
Ravnica block bouncelands
Manlands
Tolaria West

Last edited by intreped on 2010-May-18 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-16 8:00 pm 

Kodama's Reach
Seal of Cleansing/Primordium
Darksteel Ingot
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Eternal Witness
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Krosan Grip
Return to Dust
Regrowth
Recollect
Sensei's Diving Top
Barter in Blood
Expedition Map
Tormod's Crypt
Enlightened Tutor (all the other Mirage 1 cmc tutors as well)
Bant Charm
Harmonize
Fact or Fiction
All Ravnica block Signets
Putrify
Mortify
Skyshroud Claim
Hinder
Dismantling Blow
Condemn
Oblivion Ring
Thran Dynamo

Keep in mind that this list is not sorted and I really tried to keep away from listing rares no matter how inexpensive they may be. Plus these are cards that most players who have been doing just that for the past several to many years should have lying around in boxes under beds.

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-16 8:13 pm 

Mind's Eye can usually be found in dollar bins.
Coastal Tower and the like...
Eternal Dragon
Blatant Theivery/Bribery
Persecute
Wild Ricochet
Beastmaster Ascension

Current EDH Decks:

Doran, the Seige Tower : Enchantment Lockdown
Angus Mackenzie: Flicker/Blink Shenanigans
Hazezon Tamar: Sudden Army

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 5:42 am 

Rhaps how are you defining "cheap"?
A lot of that stuff can be expensive if you don't have it lying around. For example Enlightened Tutor goes for $10 right now on Starcity.
Path is $8, Witness is $4.
StP is $5 and Top is $8.
They're all good, but not exactly dollar bin stuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 6:59 am 

Sid, while I agree that those cards aren't exactly cheap, I wouldn't encourage anyone to use SCG pricing for the purposes of this thread. I could find any of the cards you mentioned (except StP) for $1-$3 less than the prices you gave for them.

Here's a short list of some cards that are likely to go into the EDH Trading Binder:

White
Austere Command
Condemn
Return to Dust

Blue
Rhystic Study
Reins of Power
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
- Bribery is not here, because that card has too much potential to leading the same thing happening in every game (something like "steal your Emrakul on turn 4, deal with it or lose").

Black
Beacon of Unrest
Barter in Blood
Phyrexian Reclamation

Red
Word of Seizing
Vicious Shadows
Wild Ricochet

Green
Deadwood Treefolk
Primal Command
Lurking Predators
Harmonize
Explosive Vegetation

Artifact
Relic of Progenitus
Scrabbling Claws
Coalition Relic
Mind's Eye

Multicolor
Aura Shards
- I'm not going to get many multicolored cards, because those cards have a very limited amount of people who want them. GW, however, is so popular around here, I'll try buying a few copies of Aura Shards.

UTILITY Land
Kamigawa legend land cycle
Tolaria West
Shivan Gorge
Kher Keep
Mistveil Plains
Mosswort Bridge
Spinerock Knoll
Bojuka Bog
Krosan Verge
Springjack Pasture
Tower of the Magistrate
Temple of the False God
- I'm probably not going to get all of these lands, but they are all cards that could go into any deck that plays the right colors. Note that there are no duals of any kind (except Krosan Verge, but I doubt it needs an explanation), because it would be quite difficult to know what people might want, and I'm not going to buy every 5- or 10-card dual land cycle in existence, even if they're just uncommons.

Still need plenty more. I'll have to try and find some cards. Maybe read some decklists on these forums. Other people's opinions are still welcome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 7:27 am 

Filth wrote:
Sid, while I agree that those cards aren't exactly cheap, I wouldn't encourage anyone to use SCG pricing for the purposes of this thread. I could find any of the cards you mentioned (except StP) for $1-$3 less than the prices you gave for them.

Fair enough. I didn't do much research, I just know that my local store would sell those cards close to those prices (except I think they had enlightened closer to $5).

Anyways, you might consider getting tri-lands. Shard generals are pretty popular (Sharuum, Kresh, Rafiq, Thrax, Maeyel). Maybe the lair cycle as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 7:52 am 

land search is cheap..
but in trade ability if you're looking to buy and retrade for stuff.
white sweepers there are piles of stuff that's pretty cheap
blue multi use counterspells desertion / spelljack
green regrowth fx / all suns dawns / restock etc.
red sweepers again - ruination / odliterate
black - some tutors some reanimating enchantments

buyback spells in general
piles of old school legends

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 11:04 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Rhaps how are you defining "cheap"?
A lot of that stuff can be expensive if you don't have it lying around. For example Enlightened Tutor goes for $10 right now on Starcity.
Path is $8, Witness is $4.
StP is $5 and Top is $8.
They're all good, but not exactly dollar bin stuff.

Sid:
I suppose as Filth already stated that there are many different prices out there, you just have to find them. Also I was thinking along the lines of commons/uncommons for the mere fact that they will come up more often than a rare/mythic. Also I never use STG, there prices make me angry...

Aaron948537: I have never seen eternal Dragon in a dollar bin, or selling for a dollar online!! If this is the case please PM the site you saw this on!!

Filth:
Mulitcolored spells you could add would be Fires of Yavimaya, Cauldron Dance, Savage Twister, and Behemoth Sledge.

End of Line

odit wrote:
I normally my techy , controly decks.

This.

DECKS:
Uril's Legendary Tea Party
Jenara: Tell me why I have to be a Powerslave
Karador: Rock out with your cock out
Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed: Cosmic Hearse

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-17 12:18 pm 

Rhapsody wrote:
Sid:
I suppose as Filth already stated that there are many different prices out there, you just have to find them. Also I was thinking along the lines of commons/uncommons for the mere fact that they will come up more often than a rare/mythic. Also I never use STG, there prices make me angry...

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Fair enough. I didn't do much research, I just know that my local store would sell those cards close to those prices (except I think they had enlightened closer to $5).

I'd also like to point out that you have named a number of commons and uncommons that tend to be harder to get because everyone wants them because they're really good. Path especially, since it's still in standard, which jacks the demand and therefore the price. But as you and Filth have both pointed out, I didn't do an extensive price analysis. I just went to a site that was convenient for me and looked up some #s, because I know if I saw any of those cards at what I consider "cheap", I'd buy out their supply on the spot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-18 10:50 am 

Woah, I totally forgot Mana Reflection. It's definitely a better cheap staple than Deadwood Treefolk.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-18 4:09 pm 

Great idea, and I like your preliminary list. These are other cards I'd vote for adding to your binder of staples:

Green: Kodama's Reach, Skyshroud Claim (if folks have duals or shocklands), Restock, Loaming Shaman, Mana Reflection, Eternal Witness

White: Aven Mindcensor, Miraculous Recovery, Honor the Fallen

Blue(ish): Willbender, Hinder, Future Sight, Crystal Shard, Trinket Mage

Black: Withered Wretch, Buried Alive

Red: Viashino Heretic

Artifacts: Solemn Simulacrum, Darksteel Ingot, Expedition Map

Lands: Deserted Temple, Odyssey and Saga cyclers

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-18 6:07 pm 

Read some decklists and, of course, your posts, got some new cards. Thanks for the help.

If some cards don't end up on my list, it's because they're cards that I wouldn't want to see in every game (reasons may vary - slow to resolve, plain annoying, already sees play in way too many decks, etc.), because they're too similar to other cards on this list (Kodama's Reach / Skyshroud Claim / Explosive Vegetation), or because they simply cost too much (in $) and I don't own extra copies. I might adjust my criteria accordingly if it proves too difficult to find enough unique, interesting, and cheap cards.

White
Rares:
Austere Command
Honor the Fallen
Not rares:
Condemn
Return to Dust
Aven Mindcensor

Blue
Rares:
Reins of Power
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Body Double
Time Stop
Not rares:
Willbender
Crystal Shard (blue enough)
Capsize
Rhystic Study (I seriously thought this was a rare until I checked it just now o_O)

Black
Rares:
Reiver Demon
Bane of the Living
Beacon of Unrest
Not rares:
Barter in Blood
Fleshbag Marauder
Withered Wretch
Phyrexian Reclamation

Red
Rares:
Taurean Mauler
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Word of Seizing
Vicious Shadows
Wild Ricochet
Not rares:
Viashino Heretic
Shattering Pulse

Green
Rares:
Loaming Shaman
Primal Command
Mana Reflection
Restock
Lurking Predators
Not rares:
Deadwood Treefolk
Indrik Stomphowler
Harmonize
Explosive Vegetation

Artifact
Rares:
Coalition Relic
Mind's Eye
Oblivion Stone (would usually cost more than $1, but I got four of these for about $2 so whatever :P)
Duplicant
Not rares:
Relic of Progenitus
Scrabbling Claws

Multicolor
Aura Shards
Fires of Yavimaya

Land
Kamigawa legend land cycle
Tolaria West
Kher Keep
Mistveil Plains
Mosswort Bridge
Spinerock Knoll
Bojuka Bog
Springjack Pasture
Temple of the False God

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-18 6:15 pm 

Filth wrote:
Rhystic Study (I seriously thought this was a rare until I checked it just now)

Ha, I was about to correct you but by the time I clicked the "quote" button, you had already ninja-edited it to the correct place.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-May-21 3:01 pm 

Luminarch Ascension
Candles of Leng
Oblivion Stone
Draining Whelk
Arcane Denial

Offline Profile